Thomas A. Restaino
Public Health Coordinator
Meredith Blank, CMR
Registrar of Vital Statistics
About the Nutley Health Department
The mission of the Nutley Health Department is to protect and enhance the health and the quality of life of Nutley residents through preventative activities, coordination of interagency efforts, and interventions designed to promote positive health behaviors. Health education and awareness is a vital component of the Health Department.
Environmental Health Services
Services are based upon the state and local sanitary codes and are conducted by Environmental Health Specialists in the following areas.
Retail Food Establishments
- Food Handlers Course
- Food Samples
- Food borne Illness Investigations
- Air, water, noise, solid waste
- Insect and rodent control
- Heating complaints
- Public Health Nuisances
- Inspection of Recreational Bathing Facilities
- Environmental Lead investigations
- Day Care inspections
- Bioterrorism Preparedness, Education & Response
- Hazardous Waste Materials
- Rabies control
- West Nile Virus investigation and monitoring
Health Promotion is a part of most Health Department programs. It consists of education that promotes, maintains and improves Individual and community health.
The department has a Certified Health Education Specialist who identifies health education needs and coordinates, designs and implements health programs to meet needs. The health educator serves as a resource to a variety of community based organizations.
Public Health Nursing
The following Public Health Nursing services are available to the community either at no cost or for a nominal fee. Please refer to the Departmental calendar for specific scheduled dates.
- Senior Call Program
- Nurse Program for Senior Citizens
- A Nurse in the Family
- Communicable Disease Education in Day Care Facilities
- Tuberculosis Testing and Control Investigation
- School nursing to non-public and private schools
- Communicable Disease - Surveillance and Education
Angela Costa Health Clinic
- Women's Health: A comprehensive clinic offering Pap Smear, Pelvic and Breast Exam, blood pressure check and anemia screening.
- Children’s Health: A comprehensive clinic offering assessment in growth and development, and immunizations.
Clinics are offered once per month. Please call (973) 284-4976 for an appointment.
Senior Citizen Health Clinics
- Blood Pressure Screening
- Diet Instruction
- Medication Review
- Risk Assessment
Adult and Child Adolescent Immunization
- Hepatitis A & B
Public Health Reserve Corps
In March 2013, the Nutley Health Department in partnership with the Greater Montclair Health Reserve Corps created a Nutley Chapter of the Public Health Reserve Corps. The Nutley chapter is called the Nutley Public Health Reserve Corps and will function as a way to locally organize and utilize volunteers who want to donate their time and expertise to respond to public health and other emergencies.
“We recognize that during major weather events or public health emergencies residents are our most valuable resource. While our emergency plans and infrastructure are in place for these events we will need trained volunteers to supplement the existing public health workforce. Therefore I am committing our health department to join federal and state efforts to recruit and train volunteers from Nutley to serve the needs of Nutley residents during such times. Nutley citizens eighteen years of age and older can volunteer to become part of the Nutley Public Health Reserve Corps. Citizens who are not health professionals are encouraged to apply and are needed for a variety of tasks, including but not limited to administrative functions, and supervising our warming/cooling stations,” says Commissioner Rogers
Citizens interested in obtaining more information about the Nutley Public Health Reserve Corps can call 973 284-4976 or via e-mail . There is no cost to volunteers.
- Complete Blood Profile (SMAC)
- Stroke Prevention
- Cardiac Risk Assessment
- Bone Density
- Skin Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Many more….