Newark Water Advisories and Updates
The City of Newark serves a small area of Nutley (436 homes) with Pequannock Reservoir Water. This area is located west of Ridge Road and Van Winkle Avenue and bordered by Glenview Road, the Township of Nutley/Bloomfield boundary line and East Passaic Avenue. To view a map of the affected area, please click here.
The City of Newark has implemented a remedial plan to modify treatment to reduce DBPs such as HAA5, prior to entering our distribution system. This plan was implemented in the summer of 2019. Our current levels of HAA5 have been below 60 ppb since the third quarter of 2019 and all LRAAs have been below the standard since the first quarter of 2020.
If you have any questions, please contact Dominic Ferry, our Licensed Water Operator, at 973-284-4984 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more details see NJ Drinking Water Watch at: https://www9.state.nj.us/DEP_WaterWatch_public/index.jsp and enter the New Jersey public water system identification number (PWSID) 0716001.
Water Department Projects and News
- 2019 Water Quality Report Now Available - Download (6/22/20)
- Hydrant Flow Testing - July 31, 2019 - More Information (7/31/19)
- New Water Rates Effective January 1, 2019 - More Information
- How to Read Your Water Bill - Download Flyer
- View and Pay Your Water Bill Online! - Online Payments
- Moving or New Tenant? - Schedule Final Meter Reading
About the Nutley Water Department
The Nutley Water Department is a division within the Department of Public Works, and operates solely on revenues received for the services rendered. This means tax dollars are not necessary for this utility to function under normal conditions.
Nutley receives the majority of its potable water from the Passaic Valley Water Commission (PVWC). Its main facility is the Little Falls Water Treatment Plant in Totowa, NJ. Water is diverted from the Passaic and Pompton Rivers, is treated, filtered and disinfected at the plant. In drought conditions or other emergency, water from the Point View Reservoir in Wayne, NJ can be used to supplement river sources. Treated water is then mixed at PVWC’s main pumping station with treated water from the North Jersey District Water Supply Commission’s Wanaque Reservoir treatment plant. Water is then pumped into underground transmission lines running through Nutley. Nutley has four (4) intake pit areas along this transmission line located at:
Coeyman Avenue • Ridge Road • Centre Street • Meacham Avenue
At these intakes, the water goes into our distribution system. The water is then conveyed into all homes or businesses connected to the system.
The City of Newark serves a small area of Nutley with Pequannock Reservoir Water. This area is located west of Ridge Road and Van Winkle Avenue and bordered by Glenview Road, the Township of Nutley/Bloomfield boundary line and East Passaic Avenue.
The Nutley Water Department is a public community water system and purchases water from the following water systems:
- Passaic Valley Water Commission - PWSID # NJ1605002
- North Jersey District Water Supply Commission - Wanaque North System - PWSID # NJ1613001
- Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority - PWSID # NJ090600
- Newark Water Department - PWSID # NJ0714001
For Additional Information
Additional Water Information Resources
- American Water Works Association (AWWA) website: www.awwa.org
- NJDEP Bureau of Safe Drinking Water: (609) 292-5550
- NJDEP Water Supply website: www.nj.gov/dep/watersupply
- USEPA Safe Drinking Water Hotline: (800) 426-4791
- USEPA’s Drinking Water website: www.epa.gov/safewater