Department of Public Works
Monday thru Friday | 8:00am - 4:00pm
Phone: (973) 284-4984
Fax: (973) 284-4995
Message from Commissioner Scarpelli
As I complete my 13th year as the Director of Public Works, I would again like to take this opportunity to personally thank you for continuing to make our recycling program such a huge success.
Last year we had many challenges dealing with the COVID pandemic and modifying several of our programs to be contactless in order to keep everyone safe. The recycling industry also continues to change and therefore we must continue to be more cost efficient. As the world and the recycling market evolves, so will the Department of Public Works.
Thank you again for your cooperation and continue to stay safe!
Commissioner Dr. Joseph P. Scarpelli
Director of Public Works
2021-2022 Recycling Guidelines:
- As per New Jersey State Law and Chapter 614 of the Code of the Township of Nutley, recycling is MANDATORY for all property owners, residents and businesses.
- It is the responsibility of the resident to recycle according to the listed guidelines.
- Recyclables are to be placed in the correct container at curbside no earlier than 5:00pm the night before or no later than 6:00am the day of collection.
- You can help avoid missed pickups by not placing your recyclables next to trees, telephone poles, parked cars or other obstructions and by having the material at the curb for collection at the proper times and in the proper recycling containers.
- Recyclables may not be placed in the street.
For service requests please contact the Department of Public Works at (973) 284-4984 or submit a Service Request online.
Remyndr - Free Smart Phone App
Commissioner Joseph P. Scarpelli and the Department of Public Works are pleased to announce the launch of Remyndr - a smart phone notification tool that helps simplify curbside recycling by providing zone-specific reminders detailing curbside pickup items. Remyndr is a free and simple app that will notify you the night before any curbside collection, tell you what goes out for pickup and alert you when there is a problem.
Recycling Collection Guide and Calendar of Recycling Events
The Recycling Collection guide includes the complete listing of acceptable and unacceptable recycling material and how it is collected by the Township of Nutley.
- Download: 2021-2022 Recycling Guide (effective April 1, 2021)
Grasscycling - "Cut It and Leave It"
Grasscycling is the natural recycling of grass by leaving clippings on the lawn when mowing. Grass clippings decompose quickly, returning valuable nutrients back into the soil. Grass clippings are a major part of New Jersey’s municipal solid waste stream. As a Nutley resident, you are already helping to avoid air pollution and wasted resources by recycling. You can do more by reducing waste at the source. Leave the grass clippings on your lawn when you mow, and let nature do the recycling.
- Download: Grasscycling Brochure
Recycling Collection Schedule
Curbside recycling collection is picked-up once a week according to the following schedule.
ZONE #1 - Tuesdays • ZONE #2 - Wednesdays • ZONE #3 - Thursdays
- Download: Recycling Collection Schedule
There will be NO RECYCLING COLLECTION on the following holidays
|New Year's Day||Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's Birthday||President's Day|
|Good Friday||Memorial Day||Independence Day|
|Labor Day||Columbus Day||Election Day|
|Veterans Day||Thanksgiving||Christmas Day|