Consumer Protection Department

The Nutley Consumer Affairs Bureau, located in the Department of Public Affairs, handles written complaints made by residents against business entities in which they believe warrants investigation. The office mediates consumer complaints, conducts investigations, licenses contractors that perform work in Nutley and provides educational materials of consumer interest.

The Township of Nutley currently requires all contractors that work in town to complete a license application with their full name, address, corporation information and proof of public liability insurance before they receive any building permits.

If you are planning to hire a builder, plumber, or electrician to work at your home, the Nutley Consumer Affairs Bureau recommends that you first contact the office to make certain that there are no open consumer complaints against that particular business. You should also obtain at least three written estimates. Once you have decided on a specific contractor, obtain a written contract, including a start date, completion date and brand names of expensive items to be installed. Contractors must obtain all applicable state or local building and construction permits and must produce them at your request.