Department of Public Works
Monday thru Friday | 8:00am - 4:00pm
Phone: (973) 284-4984
Fax: (973) 284-4995
Message from Mayor Scarpelli
As I complete my 10th year as Director of Public Works, I would again like to take this opportunity to personally thank you for continuing to make our recycling program such a huge success. In the last two years, we have made several modifications to the recycling program to adapt to changes in the industry. This year, in an effort to become more cost efficient and to reduce manpower, we outsourced one-half of our recycling pick up. Privatizing a portion of the recycling will result in a decrease in the 2018 DPW budget without affecting services.
I am constantly working to see how we can implement cost-savings for our residents without affecting services. Although these changes were challenging, both the DPW and our residents adjusted to these revisions andmade our program more dynamic.
Mayor Dr. Joseph P. Scarpelli
Director of Public Works
2018-2019 Recycling Guidelines:
- As per New Jersey State Law and Chapter 614 of the Code of the Township of Nutley, recycling is MANDATORY for all property owners, residents and businesses.
- It is the responsibility of the resident to recycle according to the listed guidelines.
- Recyclables are to be placed in the correct container at curbside no earlier than 5:00pm the night before or no later than 6:00am the day of collection.
- You can help avoid missed pickups by not placing your recyclables next to trees, telephone poles, parked cars or other obstructions and by having the material at the curb for collection at the proper times and in the proper recycling containers.
- Recyclables may not be placed in the street.
For service requests please contact the Department of Public Works at (973) 284-4984 or submit a Service Request online
Remyndr - Free Smart Phone App
Mayor Joseph P. Scarpelli and the Department of Public Works are pleased to announce the launch of Remyndr - a smart phone notification tool that helps simplify curbside recycling by providing zone-specific reminders detailing curbside pickup items. Remyndr is a free and simple app that will notify you the night before any curbside collection, tell you what goes out for pickup and alert you when there is a problem.
Recycling Collection Guide
The Recycling Collection guide includes the complete listing of acceptable and unacceptable recycling material and how it is collected by the Township of Nutley.
- Download: 2018-2019 Recycling Guide (effective April 1, 2018)
Recycling Collection Schedule
Curbside recycling collection is picked-up once a week according to the following schedule.
ZONE #1 - Tuesdays • ZONE #2 - Wednesdays • ZONE #3 - Thursdays
- Download: Recycling Collection Schedule
There will be NO RECYCLING COLLECTION on the following holidays
|New Year's Day||Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's Birthday||President's Day|
|Good Friday||Memorial Day||Independence Day|
|Labor Day||Columbus Day||Election Day|
|Veterans Day||Thanksgiving||Christmas Day|