Hoffmann La-Roche Campus Redevelopment
Please see below information regarding the redevelopment of the Hoffmann La-Roche campus.
Since June 2012, when the Township of Nutley learned of Roche’s plan to close the facility, the Board of Commissioners has committed to work with Roche and the City of Clifton to transition the present facility to a new development that will have a positive impact for our taxpayers, and improve the quality of life of our residents.
The Board of Commissioners recognizes the challenges that exist in balancing the issues of limiting the effect on our schools, any loss of revenue, and to maintain our quality of life., and we share the concerns expressed by our residents both publicly and privately.
As a community we will move forward to repurpose the Roche site. In the end, by working together, Nutley will remain a premier destination community for the next century.
Topology was hired in 2016 by the Township of Nutley for Roche redevelopment planning. Topology is excited to involve Nutley stakeholders in shaping the next steps in the redevelopment of the former Hoffman - La Roche site ("Roche" or "ON3"). We are working closely with stakeholders to implement a collaborative vision for future redevelopment of the site, and how it will fit into the overall context of Nutley.
The community engagement process kicked off at a November 6, 2019 community meeting held at Nutley High School.
November 6, 2019 Community Meeting
How can I get involved?
Over the next few months, there will be many opportunities to participate. Here’s how you can get involved:
- Complete our project survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W8VPBM9.
- Join Topology at a community conversation.
- Franklin Avenue + Centre Street (by the Nutley Diner) - Tuesday, November 19th, 9 am –11 am
- Franklin Avenue by ShopRite - Tuesday, November 26th, 3 pm --5 pm
- Participate in the conversation on CoUrbanize.
- Email your thoughts:: firstname.lastname@example.org
Redevelopment Plan Phase 2 - 100 & 200 Metro Blvd., 101 Ideation Way
- Yahoo! Finance - Eisai Pharmaceuticals to Make the ON3 Next-Generation Life-Science and Lifestyle Campus its U.S. Headquarters (8/11/20)
- NorthJersey.com: More than 1,000 Ralph Lauren employees begin to move into ON3 campus building in Nutley (10/19/19)
- Hackensack Merdian Health Press Release: Hackensack Meridian Health Opens Center for Discovery and Innovation to Support Groundbreaking Research (11/30/19)
- NorthJersey.com: Ralph Lauren will move Lyndhurst operations to ex-Roche site, Nutley mayor says (7/9/18)
- Globst.com: Ralph Lauren Commits to Full-Building Lease at Prism's ON3 in Nutley, NJ (8/21/18)
- Asbury Park Press: Love leather, but also animals? This NJ lab is trying to grow leather (9/19/18)
- Technical.ly: Modern Meadow to leave Brooklyn for Jersey, but will keep R&D in New Lab (8/18/17)
- Northjersey.com: Biotech firm plans move to former Roche site (8/14/17)
Redevelopment Plan Phase 1 - Medical School
- Yahoo! Finance - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine Reaches Major Milestone and Operates as Independent School (7/16/20)
- NJBiz: Hackensack Meridian to launch specialized cancer research center (10/16/17)
- Ordinance 3347 - Providing for Special Assessment of the Cost of Certain Improvements on Block 201, Lot 1.03 within the Hoffmann La-Roche Redevelopment Area and Establishing a Mechanism for Payment of the Cost Thereof (8/16/16)
- Ordinance 3346 - Authorizing Execution of Financial Agreement with Kingsland Street Urban Renewal, LLC and Granting a Tax Exemption (8/16/16)
- Ordinance 3341 - Adopting the Hoffmann La-Roche Redevelopment Plan for Phase 1 (7/19/16)
- Hoffmann La-Roche Redevelopment Plan for Phase 1 (Adopted 7/19/16)
- HUMC Press Release: Seton Hall University and Hackensack Meridian Health Sign Agreement to Lease Former Roche Site for New School of Medicine
- New Jersey Monthly Magazine Article -- Meet Dean Dr. Bonita Straton: The Driving Force Behind NJ's New Med School (November 2016)
Other Redevelopment News
On July 14, 2016, Roche announced the sale of its campus to PB Nutclif, LLC, an affiliate of locally-based Prism Capital Partners, LLC (Prism).
The 116 acre campus is now known as ON3 - Please visit www.on3nj.com for additional information.
- NJ.com: Fashion giant Ralph Lauren spurns North Carolina for Nutley, will add 250 jobs (7/10/18)
- Northjersey.com: Ralph Lauren will move Lyndhurst operations to ex-Roche site, Nutley mayor says (7/9/18)
- NJBiz: Ralph Lauren, Quest Diagnostics receive EDA awards to move to former Hoffman La-Roche Site (11/14/17)
- NJBiz: The grass is greener: Biotech leather maker Modern Meadow is leaving Brooklyn with plans to grow at former Roche campus in Nutley (9/4/17)
- Biotech firm Modern Meadow moves headquarters to Nutley Press Release (8/16/17)
- Star Ledger: Synthetic leather biotech firm gets $32M in tax credits to move to N.J. (8/16/17)
- Nutley Journal: Full Steam Ahead on La Roche Development (4/28/17)
- Real Estate NJ: A new lease on life: Prism, local officials prepare for 'next chapter' of Roche campus (3/7/17)
- Nutley Sun Editorial: Nutley editorial: Moving forward (10/13/16)
- Roche Press Release: Roche to Sell 116-acre, Nutley, NJ Campus to PB Nutclif, LLC
Prism Capital Partners
200 Broadacres Drive
Bloomfield, NJ 07003
Inglesino, Webster, Wyciskala & Taylor, LLC
600 Parsippany Road, Suite 204
Parsippany, NJ 07054
Joint Repurposing Committee
Please see below information from the Joint Repurposing Committee of the Township of Nutley and the City of Clifton regarding the repurposing of the Hoffmann La-Roche campus.
FAQ Regarding the Ongoing Roche Groundwater Investigation
- Is there any contamination in soil that would be hazardous to residents?
Any soil contamination above NJDEP standards is contained to the Roche site and does not extend offsite to any other property.
- Is there any groundwater contamination that would be hazardous to residents?
The groundwater investigation is still ongoing. Based on the investigation to date, contamination in shallow groundwater (0-50 feet) does not extend offsite beneath any residential property. We have detected contamination on-site (below 50 feet) and are in the midst of determining whether this extends offsite. This is the reason for the drilling taking place on several local Nutley streets. Regardless of the outcome of the investigation of deeper groundwater, residents would not be exposed to groundwater at these depths. In addition, this groundwater is not a source of drinking water in Nutley as this is provided by the Passaic Valley Water Commission and the City of Newark.
- Is there any airborne contamination that would be hazardous to residents?
Based on current information, we are not aware of any exposure to residents from airborne contaminants that exceed NJDEP-established health-based levels.
- Is there any contamination associated with cancer risks?
Based on current information, we are not aware of any exposure to residents that exceed established NJDEP-established health-based levels for cancer.
Additional Project and Contact Information
Should residents or businesses have questions on the remediation project, feel free to contact Roche Site Environmental Health & Safety or the LSRP at the numbers below:
Roche Site Environmental Health & Safety
Teresa O'Meara, Manager
800 Bloomfield Avenue, Suite 127
Nutley, NJ 07110
Project Coordinator for the Site
TRC Environmental Corporation
41 Spring Street
New Providence, NJ 07974
NJDEP ID Number: 009949