Commissioner Alphonse Petracco
Commissioner Alphonse Petracco
Director, Department of Public Safety
228 Chestnut Street
Nutley, New Jersey 07110
Phone: (973) 284-4935
Alphonse Petracco is currently serving his fourth term on the Township of Nutley Board of Commissioners and previously served from 2012-2016 as Mayor. Elected in May 2008, he is the Director of Public Safety.
Commissioner Petracco, a lifelong Nutley resident, has been a business owner for many years starting with leasing and running the meat department at Foodarama on Washington Avenue. While at this location, Al established himself as a reputable business operator and was able to parlay the success of this location into another location on Union Avenue. After several years of expanding both locations he consolidated both stores to what is now known as Petracco and Sons, a vision he made a realization after many years of hard work and determination.
Commissioner Petracco brings to the township his business experience and feels he is able to provide the township with innovative ways to stabilize taxes while maintaining the quality lifestyle Nutley is well known for. He has always taken a keen interest in the volunteer spirit in Nutley and has contributed to that effort by coaching Little League baseball, youth basketball and by helping many charitable organizations in the township.
Al is married to Fran with three sons; Alphonse (Sonny), Vincent, and Salvatore.
Under his tenure, Commissioner Petracco initiated many community oriented programs to continue the growing relationship the Public Safety Department has with the township:
- H.O.P.E: (Helping Our Parents Endure) serves to educate parents and the youth of Nutley about the dangers of drug and alcohol use and abuse
- L.E.A.D: (Law Enforcement Against Drugs) teams members of our police force with 6 th grade classes in each grammar school to teach a drug curriculum. This program has been established to replace D.A.R.E.
- Junior Police Academy: Provides the recruits (students) with an overview of the Criminal Justice field and its components by having special guests and specialized Police units share their expertise and knowledge. It also helps in developing teamwork, self-confidence, and communication skills by using both classroom and hands on training techniques.
- Fire Prevention Night: During Fire Prevention Week the community is invited to the Fire Department for safety and instructional tips covering a wide range of topics from how to properly use a fire extinguisher to the proper steps to take if there is a fire in your home
- P.A.L.S: (Police And Lunch in School) initiative was created to foster a positive and open relationship between Police Officers and the children of our community. The PALS program partners uniformed officers of the Nutley Police Department with students selected by the school to participate in a pizza style lunch during their lunch time.
- Trunk or Treat: Provides all the fun and perks of Halloween without the many dangers that pose risks to our children while trick or treating throughout town. This event is held in front of the Public Safety Building.
- Senior Fraud Seminar: Keeps our senior citizens up to date with any issues relating to Senior Fraud, internet safety and precautions, telephone scams, contractor scams, etc.
- S.O.S (Shovel Out Seniors): Junior and High School students are paired with Senior Citizens in need of having their property shoveled during the winter months.
- Bike Rodeo: Teaches bike safety to children in a fun and safe manner
In addition to many community oriented programs, Commissioner Petracco has also implemented many upgrades to both the Police and Fire Departments. He has been instrumental with putting more boots on the ground for the town’s safety as well as providing state of the art upgrades that have enabled Patrol and Detectives to be on top of the latest crime trends and how to protect them. Each advancement made in the Public Safety Department has helped it grow into one of the best in the state.
The Office of Emergency Management operates under the Fire Department and consists of representatives of every branch of Nutley Government. OEM is activated for major storms and other emergency situations.