Code Enforcement
News and Announcements from the Nutley Code Enforcement Department
Commissioner Thomas J. Evans and David Berry are pleased to release periodic notices that we hope will help all property owners to better understand the Municipal Code of the Township of Nutley.

Important Update for Homeowners, Landlords and Tenants - Use and Occupancy
Sign Notice to Realtors - Permits Required for all "For Sale" Signs
2019 Spring Reminders - Property Maintenance

building-permit.jpg The Township of Nutley Code Enforcement Department is the Local Municipal Enforcing Agency which issues construction permits, conducts progress inspections and issues certificates of occupancy in accordance with the State of New Jersey Uniform Construction Code Act regulations.  Land development and construction in Nutley are regulated by various state, county and local laws (codes), chief among these are the State of New Jersey Uniform Construction Code (UCC) and the Township of Nutley Code. Relative to land use and construction, the Township Code regulates zoning, property maintenance, tree removals, soil movement, storm water control and various aspects of construction operations, including noise, pollution and when work may be performed.

Based on the intended use, the UCC regulates how structures must be constructed to insure the health, safety and welfare of the public. It provides the means for state-licensed code officials to review plans, issue permits and inspect construction to insure that minimum code standards are met and appropriate building materials are used, thereby reducing potential hazards due to unsafe construction.

The Code Enforcement Department is located in the Municipal Building. Office hours are 8:00am to 4:00pm Monday through Friday. UCC permits are issued each day until 3:00pm.

If you have any questions such as if permits are required or what is involved in getting a permit, please feel free to contact us.

Mission Statement

  • To protect the health, safety and welfare of all users of buildings and structures within the Township of Nutley through the enforcement of the Uniform Construction Code of the State of New Jersey
  • To insure the adequate maintenance of buildings and structures throughout the Township by the active enforcement of the Uniform Construction Code of the State of New Jersey
  • To provide and maintain a pleasing visual environment through the application and enforcement of the township's Development Regulation.
  • To assist in the orderly development of the township by applying the rules and regulations established by the Board of Commissioners.
  • To assist the Board of Commissioners in providing a better community by suggesting the elimination of unnecessary or obsolete regulations, the alteration of regulations to recognize new and innovative technologies and the establishment of new regulations to address changing lifestyles and objectives
  • To assist applicants in the process of obtaining necessary approvals for use and development of properties within the Township
  • To provide assistance to property owners and users, in times of crisis, to minimize disturbance of life and livelihood
  • To maintain and advance the quality of life of people living, working and visiting the Township of Nutley by promoting the ideals and principals set forth by the Board of Commissioners through their legislative actions

Inspection Time Frames

Inspections are scheduled during the following days and times:

  • Building/Zoning (Transfer of Real Estate) 
    • Monday - Friday
      8:00am - 3:30pm
  • Fire/Zoning (Transfer of Real Estate) 
    • Monday / Wednesday / Thursday
      11:00am - 3:00pm
  • Plumbing 
    • Monday - Thursday
      10:00am - 2:00pm
  • Electric 
    • Monday / Wednesday / Thursday / Friday
      10:00am - 3:00pm


The type, location and extent of the work to be performed for any given project will determine what type(s) of permit(s) will be required to perform the intended work, including any or all of the following: zoning permit, UCC demolition and/or construction permits, tree removal permit, soil movement permit, sign permit. Certain projects and types of work may also require the prior approval of the Planning Board or Zoning Board of Adjustment before any permit applications can be made.

Construction Projects that require Building Permits: 

The list below is not intended to be all-inclusive, but are the most frequently issued permits. You should always call the Construction Department when you are planning a project, big or small, to see if a permit will be required. This could help make your project a success and avoid potential problems, which could cost you time and money.

New BuildingsAdditionsRenovations

Finishing an Attic
Kitchen Renovations
Bathroom Renovations
Enclosing a Porch
New Furnaces
Air Conditioning
New Driveways

Fire Places

New Siding
Finishing a Basement
Swimming Pools
Replacing a Roof
Water Heaters
Heating Systems

Electrical Systems
Low Voltage System
Plumbing Systems
Public Sidewalks

If you are a business owner that intends to occupying an existing building or tenant space, regardless of whether construction work will be performed, a Zoning Permit is required for all new tenancies before occupying the building or tenant space. Planning Board approval may also be required. Please inquire with the Code Enforcement Department and/or Planning Board office. There is certain construction work that you may be allowed to do without first obtaining permits such as installing floor (not wall) tiles, painting, replacing same size windows and doors, but if you are in doubt, a call to the Code Enforcement Department is recommended

Permits must be obtained before that start of work except that emergency replacement of furnaces, boilers and water heaters will be allowed as long as the Code Enforcement Department is notified of the replacement at the time of installation and permits are obtained within five days thereafter.

If you need a permit for the work, the permit process and fees will be explained to you by department personnel at the time of your visit or your telephone call, and you will be given the forms that you will need to apply for a permit.