Traffic Safety Officer
Patrolman Joseph O'Halloran
(973) 284-4940 x 2104
The Traffic Safety Unit is responsible for:
- Investigation of serious/fatal motor vehicle crashes, review of any township vehicle related crashes and review of all crash reports within the township.
- Traffic/speeding enforcement on motorcycle and marked and unmarked police units via radar and laser speed detection units
- Responsible for the training of all radar/speed laser operators within the department and maintaining all radar/laser units.
- Coordinates with the NJ State Police Alcohol/Drug Testing Unit for the AlcoTest breathalyzer unit maintenance and the training of township officers in all phases of DWI detection.
- Oversees all road construction projects to make sure proper detours and traffic control are in place as well as contractors following all safety guidelines and procedures as per OSHA and MUTCD regulations.
- Works with township Code Enforcement and Engineering Department on any new build or major renovation construction projects and the effect on traffic in the area.
- Oversees and assists in the planning of all special events in the township and consults with state/county/local officials on any road closures required.
- Maintains a variable message sign and several data-recording speed enforcement signs which are deployed to areas to assist with and identify potential problem areas and times.
- Processes grants through the State/Federal Government for reimbursement of monies for Pedestrian Safety, "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" and "Click it or Ticket" programs.
- Oversees all school guards and works with the school guard coordinator to maintain a safe environment for children going to and from school as well as the township Engineering Department to provide the "Safe Routes to School Program".
- Works with the state NJ Police Traffic Officers Association for any current trends in traffic related issues, changes in traffic laws and the training and recertification of township police officers for crash investigation, DWI investigation and work zone safety.